BSc (Hon) - Chem.Phys
Call Date: 1971
John is the Head of Chambers at Ingenuity IP Chambers. He was awarded the Blackstone Scholarship by Middle Temple in 1970. After being called to the Bar, he became pupil to Roger Bell (later Mr Justice Bell) in the chambers of the Master of the Rolls, Lord Woolf. On completion of his general common law pupillage, he joined the patent chambers of Sir John Whitford at New Court, now Ingenuity IP. He was later appointed an Examiner of the High Court.
John is a prominent figure in intellectual property practice. His field is broad-ranging, encompassing copyright, trade marks, passing off, computer related matters and design rights, as well as mechanical, chemical, bio-technical and electronic patents. He is well-known for his prowess in breach of confidence cases, and has extensive experience in computer, defamation and competition matters, as well as an interest in telecoms and contracts involving technical issues.
John has a profound ability to grapple with the complexities of technical commercial contractual disputes. He is acknowledged as a clever, effective and tenacious advocate, on behalf of his clients, who range from multi-nationals and large companies and institutions to small traders and individuals. John's services are strongly in demand in helping to resolve complex and apparently intractable problems. His imagination and expertise are greatly valued by all those who instruct him.
He also regularly lectures on intellectual property issues to expert audiences on matters including digital copyright and design rights and is the author of a number of authoritative articles. Additionally he provides services as a qualified mediator.
Recently during 2011-12 John has been involved as counsel in a number of high profile international ip disputes covering design rights, trade marks, computer software, confidentially, competition , the music industry and disclosure issues involving Norwich Pharmacal relief. Such cases have included Gimex v Chillbag  EWPCC 31-34 and Christian Dior Couture SA v White Feather Ltd IHC No 783111.
Other Reported Cases include :
• The Coca-Cola Co v. Ketteridge  FSR 608
• AT Poeton (Gloucester Plating) Ltd v. Horton  FSR 169 (CA)
• Artistic Upholstery Ltd v. Art Forma (Furniture) Ltd  FSR 311
• CMI Centres for Medical Innovation GmbH v. Phytopharm Plc  FSR 235
• BBC Worldwide Ltd v. Pally Screen Printing Ltd  FSR 665
• Orwin v. Attorney General  FSR 415 (CA)
• Valeo Vision SA v. Flexible Lamps Ltd  RPC 205
• Games Workshop Ltd v. Transworld Publishers Ltd  FSR 705 (CA)
• Interlego AG v. Alex Folley (Vic) Ltd  FSR 283
• Roger Bullivant Ltd v. Ellis  FSR 172 (CA)
• Elan Digital Systems Ltd v. Elan Computers Ltd  FSR 373 (CA)
• Hytrac Conveyors Ltd v. Conveyors International Ltd  1 WLR 44 (CA)
• Exxon Corpn v. Exxon Insurance Ltd  Ch 119 (CA)
• Intellectual Property Bar Association
• Chancery Bar Association